"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Feast of Purim

Since we are studying the Old Testament this year, I decided that I wanted to research the various customs that Jesus would have celebrated in his youth. It was interesting to me to learn that each of these "feasts" while based on sacred events had evolved over time just like I imagine Christmas has evolved from remembering Christ to an annual, distracting, gift-giving frenzy.

Just like the 4th of July, Jesus would have celebrated the Israelites trek out of Egypt. I read about the various "feasts" and their origins in the Bible Dictionary of the LDS King James Version of the Bible. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bd/f/8 Then, I looked up the actual dates and more details on a modern-day Jewish website.

Purim is coming up this month (Feb 28-Mar 20). I think we'll be celebrating by watching the Veggie Tales version of Esther and also reading the biblical account. I also have a non-children's movie version of Esther, One Night with the King. The title always makes me laugh but it was a pretty good movie.

"The Feast of Purim (called Mordecai’s Day, 2 Macc. 15: 36) was instituted by Mordecai and confirmed by Esther, to commemorate the overthrow of Haman and the failure of his plots against the Jews’ (Esth. 9: 20-32). The name Purim (=lots) was given in mockery of the lots Haman had cast to secure a day of good omen for his enterprise (Esth. 3: 7). During the feast the whole book of Esther was read in the synagogues, and all Israelites - men, women, children, and slaves - were required to be present. The reading was accompanied by clapping of hands, stamping of feet, and clamorous curses on Haman and the Jews’ enemies, and blessings on Mordecai, Esther, etc. The feast was celebrated with great joy, shown by distributing gifts."

Hmmm...what to include in our feast. Ham-an-burgers! I might have to watch Fiddler on the Roof for more inspiration.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Watching Fiddler on the Roof for inspiration will lead to much singing, perhaps a bit of drinking, and lots of Tradition! (Nicki is probably a bit young for the matchmaker just yet). Good luck with your feast.