We thoroughly enjoyed Spring Break. It was so nice to sleep in until 7 or even 7:30 AM. I worked on Monday which gave the kids some fun time at Johnell's house. Then we relaxed and played most of the week. We did get some Spring cleaning done as well.
We recently revised our chores routine. I had been feeling overwhelmed and decided I needed to recruit the kids to help more. I thought it would be helpful for two reasons. Perhaps if they have to clean up a room than they'll be more considerate in the future of how much mess they create. Secondly, I just can't do it all myself.
It was Britton's week to keep the bathroom tidy. So on the first day, I was describing/showing him how to do it.
MOM: "First, you turn on the hot water in the sink. While you're waiting for it to warm up, you get your fingers wet and use your fingertips as scrubbies to get rid of the gobs of toothpaste in the sink."
BRITTON: "Let me do it. Moooommmm! It's my job!"
MOM: "When the water gets warm, you plug the sink and fill it half full. Then mom puts a splash of cleaning solution in the sink. Then grab the ugliest rag you can find and wipe down the sink and cupboard first. Always wipe the toilet last because it's the grossest."
BRITTON: "Okay, I got it mom. Let me have the rag. Mom, it's my job!"
A few minutes later when I checked on him, he actually said, "I like cleaning the bathroom."
MOM: "Okay, I'm glad. I'm just going to lock you in so that Darren doesn't bother you. Is that okay? Do you know how to unlock the door?"
Britton did a fabulous job better than any other kid that I've begged to clean the bathroom. I know it won't last but it was so nice for a change.
Now about Nikki. We have been having so much fun playing with her Webkins pets. She plays games to earn money to feed and clothe her pets. The games are fun and educational. She is very frugal with how she spends her money. She is going to be a Webkinz Millionaire soon. Her pets are never naked or hungry though. I really like how she organized her kitchen. She has one fridge for food, one fridge for drinks, and one fridge for candy, but she'll only use them as a backup in an emergency. She calls it her food storage. Every time that she spends money, she plays games until she earns back at least that much. If only we could all follow her example. She is a very thoughtful child.
Darren is beginning to repeat many words back that you say to him. He likes to be included in whatever is goin on. He refuses to eat unless he holds his own fork. And even if you succeed at placing a vegetable hidden in potatoes into his mouth, he's really good at sucking down the potatoes and spitting out the veggie. He tries to refuse any drink container except bottles but we're holding firm on that point.
Jay is one of Darren's favorite buddies. If I can't hold him then Jay is sometimes acceptable to Darren.
Jay, Nikki, Britton, and I went to the County Fair a few nights ago. I didn't think we would go this year because I was afraid of losing children again but Johnell offered to watch Josh and Darren. We showed up at the fair with $18. Nikki had $13 but wanted to save it. $18 was just enough money for each of us to ride one ride. They all voted for the Gravitron. If they'd pressed the issue, I would have headed to the ATM but I'm so glad they didn't because $15 for a 3 minute ride seems exorbitant. We looked at the displays after that. We saw a poster that Jay drew at school with a 3rd place ribbon. He was proud. We played in the science center, checked out the 4-H animals, and watched the Hypnotist show. I thought I might have to explain to Britton that they were doing all these silly things in their sleep but he informed me that he knows about hypnotizing because he saw it on Scooby Doo.
The next morning, we made our own funnel cakes for breakfast. They were so good that it might become a tradition. We also poured syrup on them and they tasted just like waffles. Maybe we'll call them Wacky Waffles.
3 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup white sugar
3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
Sift dry ingredients into combined wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. I mixed it in a blender. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour batter into a funnel with your finger covering the bottom hole. Let batter drip from the funnel into the hot oil in a circular/flowery pattern. Flip the design over when lightly golden. Remove and set on absorbent paper towels to cool. Add powdered sugar and serve.
We ended Spring Break with an Easter Egg hunt at Patti's house. All of the Jacobson cousins were present. It's their unique tradition to number plastic eggs 1-12 and fill them with candy. They toss them throughout the orchard and each kid can only find one of each number. It keeps the baskets evenly full, makes it more challenging for the older kids, and teaches the younger kids number recognition. We also ate Carne Asada and had a great time visiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment