"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Monday, August 9, 2010

First Day of School 8-9-10

Today was a very nice day. We went to bed at a decent time last night. We woke up on time. The kids were excited to go back to school so they dressed quickly. The fridge is still broken so breakfast was an easy choice (cinnamon toast, cantaloupe, and water). I brought the kids to school, attended a short "Kindergarten Yahoo/Boohoo" Session where the principal spoke. I was one of the parents thinking "Yahoo!" I came home and started my school-year routine which was such a comfort to me (dishes then a load of laundry). Life seems so much easier to manage when there is a schedule and routine.

When the children returned from school this afternoon, Nikki read to Britton which fulfilled each of their homework requirements. Nikki was supposed to read for 15 minutes and Britton was to be read to for 15 minutes. I admit I was a little sad because I wanted to read to Britton too. Jay has already decided that 4th grade is going to be "horrible" although he said it with a smile enjoying the chance to complain. Apparently they only get 30 minutes of recess and he didn't know any of the answers on his science pre-test. I reassured him that it's actually exciting to think that he'll know all those answers by the time the school year is over.

After school, I'm hoping to start the habit of homework at the table right away (with a snack) and folded clothes at their table place for them to put away. Then they can play until 5pm when we get ready for dinner.

"I love it when a plan comes together." -Hannibal Smith

No comments: