"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Madness and Jehovah's Witness

March Madness used to mean basketball but now it describes life with 5 growing children.  Life is good. We're trying to keep focused on the "good stuff".  We've reviewed our food storage again due to Japan's recent disaster.  We're not too far off the mark. 

My Jehovah's Witness friend, Viola, is still visiting once a month.  I thought that she might have given up on me after Jonny and I bore our testimonies to her a couple months ago.  But she continues to come faithfully.  On her last visit, she showed me an amazing Old Testament scripture which I thought only helped to point out that Christ played a large part in the creation and that mankind existed as spirits before being born on Earth which contradicts her belief.  The words in Proverbs 8:22-31 are just beautiful.  Apparently, the JW's don't believe in a premortal existence.  She makes me realize how much I take my gospel knowledge for granted. 

When she came a few days ago, I was under a lot of stress and not in a very good mood.  I came outside and closed the front door so that the dog and children wouldn't escape.  My house was messy and I wasn't in the mood to invite her in but I tried to be pleasant and asked her just to share a joyful scripture that day.  She was determined to convert me on the doorstep though with relentless scripture quoting, so I finally invited her and her partner inside.  We continued our discussion (from previous visits) about how Latter-Day Saints believe that Jehovah is Christ and the Jehovah's Witness do not.  I shared with her Colossians  1:12-20.  She and her partner, Kay, asked more questions about what we believe then tried to dissuade me, but I stood firm (and pleasant) in my testimony.  When everything was said on both sides, I told her that I appreciated her love and attention and invited them to come anytime and hugged them both. 

Crandall Family Reunion plans are still underway.  Emily and I are praying that it will be a success.  We've put a lot of brain power into it.  We hope that many will come and enjoy every moment.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That's so nice of you to invite the Jehovah Witnesses in your home. I'm sure the reunion will be a big sucess, and I am so excited for it coming up! I really appericate you and Emily planning it.