"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Winding Down...

I recently drove through a snowstorm on the way to San Diego which was a first for me. It was a surprise...not in the forecast. It was a little nervewracking.

The kids are doing well. We just helped Jay finish his Science Project last night. This was our first kid's science project. The assignment information was filtered through Jay so it's hard to know what they actually really expected. Jay told us that it had to be typed if we wanted it included in the school fair which I thought was a bit much for a 4th grader. I remember taking typing lessons in 8th grade. He "hunted and pecked" the first half of the report before I finally decided to have him dictate to me while I typed for him. (I wanted to go to bed at a decent hour.) My academic strengths are mostly in English/spelling/grammar and I had to really restrain myself from having him do a full bibliography of sources and from restructuring his sentences. Jay was so relieved to have it done that Jonny and I got at least 3 hugs and thank-yous last night and he can be proud of himself because he did most of the work.


From our 4 chickens, we're getting 3 eggs/day.  We have a baby chicken that looks almost full-grown but probably won't start laying for another few months.  4H should be wrapping up by the end of the month. Jay and Nikki went to Pre-fair where they had to take a written test about their animal to test their knowledge. Then they had to practice in front of a judge so that they would know what was expected from the actual Fair coming up. I thought their comments to Uncle Steve in a letter were pretty funny. Nikki told Steve that she got marked off by the judges for not knowing what a loin is. She said "I'll have to go figure that out." And Jay told him all about the "moves he had to do with his chicken" which Steve pounced on with humor asking "what kind of moves" because he does the "Chicken Dance" in Cincinatti every year in October "with wild abandon".  Steve has shown us his disco moves before, I think he likes to dance.
Soccer is also just about over. Jay's team finished early in the double elimination bracket. Britton's age group doesn't have a double elimination bracket so he just keeps playing through the end of March. Then life will return to a better schedule and I will be content with once a week church activities (Cub Scouts and Achievement Days) and piano lessons for Jay and Nikki.

Britton just had his 6th birthday. He is almost through his first year of kindergarten and has done very well.  He's a very good reader.  Josh is speaking better all the time.  He has an appointment coming up with an ENT Surgeon who will make the decision about pulling his super-large tonsils.  I am hoping for a dramatic differences in his sleeping, snoring, and speech. 

Darren is also speaking very well in short sentences and can usually make his wants/needs known.  The older kids are constantly having him repeat some silly phrases like "Ima nerd" and "chicken butt" when someone says "what?" which I try to discourage without chuckling.  He says "Saw-wy" and gives hugs if he realizes that he caused offense.  He also says "I wuv you" often and knows what it means. 

Jonny finished up making his roll cage for the bronco.  Now it just has to be sanded and painted.  Once that is done, he can start attaching the electrical wiring and gauges...making more visible progress all the time. 

My life is centered around all of the above along with the dishes, laundry, and meals that keep everything running.  I'm happy to acknowledge that the Lord helps me constantly.  The older kids (Jay, Nikki, and 2 friends) were riding bikes the other day.  One of the friends was riding Josh's because he still needs the training wheels.  When they were done, Josh's bike was left in the front yard and Josh somehow managed to get past the child safety doorknob cover into the front yard where he got on his bike and rode off looking for Jay.  He got to the end of our street then the end of the connecting street before some friends from our ward intercepted him and called.  That was embarrassing but the whole scenario took place within 15 minutes.  The beauty of being in my 30's is that I can shake of the embarrassment better and just be grateful for the good Lord and good friends who help me out.

No comments: