Yesterday, Jonny, Jay, and I (Christi) attended an Eagle Scout Court of Honor. Jay, despite being a Webelos scout, was asked to assist in the flag ceremony. It was inspiring to Jay. He has now set his heart and mind on pursuing the rank of Eagle Scout. They asked all the Eagle Scouts in the audience to sit together in the "eagle's nest", so Jonny joined fellow eagle scouts in their corner. They all joined in repeating the scout oath and law. As I listened to the words and enjoyed seeing Jonny in his uniform repeating the words, I was so grateful to realize that he can truly claim each attribute. As a youth, I knew that I wanted to marry a returned missionary but didn't realize how fortunate I was to also marry an eagle scout.
SCOUT LAW: "A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent."
SCOUT OATH/PROMISE: "On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."
EAGLE SCOUT OATH: “I reaffirm my allegiance to the three promises of the Scout Oath I thoughtfully recognize and take upon myself the obligations and responsibilities of the rank of Eagle Scout: On my honor I will do my best to make my training an example my rank and my influence count strongly for better Scouting and for better citizenship in my troop, and in my community, and in my contacts with other people. To this I pledge my sacred honor."
Afterward, the three of us went out to dinner together to Round Table Pizza. It served as the backdrop for a brief but important puberty discussion meant to prepare Jay for avoiding moral pitfalls that may soon present themselves if they haven't already. Jonny and I decided to present it together since Jonny has the first-hand experience as a man but I wanted to have an introduction on the subject since I will be most readily at hand for Jay to talk to about anything that comes up.
No comments:
Post a Comment