"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Tank Graveyard

Jonny played basketball on the M&W Team from work. It was interesting. I think I already mentioned the obvious cultural differences between LDS and non-LDS basketball players in a previous post. There was no referee for the games and therefore everyone called their own fouls. There were a couple hot-headed players (ex-soldiers or "gunners") whose language was very colorful. They really had me wincing since I had all of the kids present. At one point, I had to interrupt one of Jay's "out loud" comments when he started to say "that guy must not be Christian..." because his girlfriend was sitting near us. Jonny called a foul on himself and the girlfriend remarked "Wow, your husband is so honest."

We went to watch a few of the games and then shot some hoops as a family afterward. I look forward to someday having room at our house for a private hoop where I can practice and not have to publicly embarrass my family with how poor my formerly passable shooting skills have become. Jay is developing some good skills. Jonny lifts the rest of the kids onto his shoulders so that they can shoot at close range.

On the way to the proving grounds for basketball games, we did stop to visit the Tank Graveyard and took some fun pictures. This tank graveyard has about 15-20 different retired tank or missile launching vehicles from every war in the last century. Down the way is an Apache helicopter sitting atop a tall pole at a menacing angle as if it is in flight. It still give me shivers to drive by it.











No comments: