Darren has had no pain and not even any pain medication. I think that is a miracle. I was certain that he would have throbbing to drive him mad. I was very grateful that my cousin David Jacobson (a pharmacist intern at the hospital) stopped in to assist Jonny with a priesthood blessing. I noted that there was no promise of complete healing, but Jonny did bless Darren that he would handle it well and that the doctors would know what to do. It hadn't occurred to me to ask for a blessing, but it was a great comfort to me.
Later that evening, my other cousin Mary (who lost her husband a couple years ago in a car vs. bike accident) brought us dinner and a birthday cake for Nikki. I was grateful because I had been planning on making one that day but of course didn't feel like celebrating after the incident. Then my good friend Liz stopped by and told me that her dad had his leg amputated below the knee that same day. Those two visits put our trial in perspective. I've asked for a miracle anyway clinging to that hope that "faith precedes the miracle." It may be just the tip of his thumb but it's important to me. I know it's possible. I've seen miracles before. My faith and my love for God doesn't hinge on this miracle but I sure would thank God for it and remember it forever.
Britton alerted me in time yesterday that Darren was unwrapping his hand. The doctor had wrapped the thumb first then wrapped gauze around every finger and wrapped the whole hand to discourage Darren from trying to use that hand. It looks like a boxing glove. Then we put a spiderman sock over it. I was so glad that Britton alerted me in time. I didn't have the supplies to redo the whole dressing so I didn't take anything else off but rewrapped the boxing glove part again. Before I wrapped it though, I sat there sniffing his thumb and didn't detect any unwanted smells. I've had visions all weekend of a rotting thumb.
I was very grateful that Jonny could come right away from work on Friday. I had texted my cousin Patti about picking up kids after school. She wanted to leave work and come sit with me at the hospital but I told her not to and that Jonny was coming already. She came anyway and I was so glad. She distracted Jonny and I with conversation. If she hadn't been there, I would have been 10x more upset. Another cousin, Rachel, works in Radiology at the ER and had Patti mention our relation to the doctor. It seems silly to namedrop, but I did detect a slight difference in the doctor's demeanor afterward. I can recall working horribly busy days in emergency rooms and I know how difficult it can be to establish priorities especially with heart attacks and strokes. I shook the doctor's hand after Darren was all stitched and thanked him which I think surprised him. I know that during the 3 hour wait, I did see him walk past with food but I can't hold that against him when I remember those busy days and the need for calories no matter how dire the patients are. I was glad that I could call on my neighbors to help. It's kind of a bonding experience. I am especially grateful for my cousins' loving attention.
What will be...will be. We'll keep you posted.
![]() |
| 3 days later, we discovered it was pink and healing....yay! (4 stitches) |
![]() |
| Nikki's birthday cake. Notice Darren's boxing glove. |


1 comment:
A few days later, we met with the hand surgeon and unwrapped his dressing for the first time. The tip of his thumb is pink and healing. It's a wonderful miracle for which we are so grateful! I've had to change his dressing multiple times now because he keeps unwrapping it, submerging it in water, and playing in the dirt with it. So I see it fairly often and it's doing well. I'm pretty sensitive to contention in the house now though...zero tolerance right now.
Post a Comment