"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Beware the Humble Pie

Josh recently started preschool. It's a free program for which he qualified because of his speech delay. In only 2 weeks, I've already seen a benefit where he is more patient and willing to work with me on enunciating sounds. He even started showing interest in potty-training. We still have a long way to go in both areas.

Transportation is also included in the program. A bus comes to pickup and drop-off right in front of our house. They gave me the times of 11:41 pick-up and 3:00pm drop-off. The first time they came, the times were nearly exact. The next week, however, they didn't arrive for pick-up until noon which is when preschool is supposed to start. They apologized and I was very congenial and reassuring. I remember I smiled and said, "Oh well. Things happen. I'm just grateful for the bus service." (Even though internally, I was a little stressed and in a hurry to get to work but how do you complain about a free service?!)

I was supposed to be to work as close to noon as possible. I was scheduled to work noon until 2pm. I stayed a little longer after 2pm thinking I had plenty of time before the 3pm drop-off. I got home at 2:45pm and the bus was waiting in front of our house. I pulled up behind it because it was blocking my driveway and it started to pull away as I parked. I had to chase and flag it down. I asked if they were early to which they said "No, we're a little behind. We'll usually be here within 15 minutes of preschool ending." I was so grateful that I hadn't acted irritably or said anything negative earlier. Can you imagine the humble pie that I would have had to eat?

No comments: