I really try to live by the rule of "handle it only once" meaning put things away in the right place the first time or take care of something immediately before its forgotten..."a stitch in time saves nine" etc. I am mostly successful but until my children learn to live by the same rules,...my ship is sunk.
Today I tried very hard to be a good citizen and pay my long overdue fines at the library. They're not set up for VISA yet. I have shown up before with checkbooks minus the checks, diaper bag minus the checkbook (because it was pulled out to pay tithing), and today finally I HAD my checkbook. I owe $12. I wrote out a check but they wouldn't accept it without photo identification. I didn't have my photo identification because I unintentionally left my purse at work today.
I only worked 2 hours today. I run all over the hospital and it's not practical to carry my purse. I usually keep my key ring attached to my purse so that I never drive off without it. The keys are attached to my purse via a very small measuring tape key chain. I took off the key chain today because I was looking through Jay's bear book and one of the requirements are to learn and demonstrate "magic" tricks (one that required a tape measure). I was practicing the trick then was distracted by my children which in turn distracted me from knowing where I placed that key chain. Without that keychain, I can't connect my keys to my purse. Hence, the purse was left at work and I still after many, many months have not paid my $12 fine.
Fortunately, the library continues to lend me books on any one of my kids' cards. Ironically, however, I didn't have my photo identification (no purse) but they took my word for it that those accounts belonged to my kids at that address etc. I think they took pity on me with my eyes darting in multiple directions and a little steam billowing out of my ears (not as much as usual - I was tempering pretty well today).
Jay was RUNNING back from the drinking fountain (100 feet away); Josh was running from the drinking fountain in the OPPOSITE direction or wiggling out of his stroller seat after I left the line to chase him and bring him back; Darren was fussing because he couldn't get out and run like the other boys; Britton was using a wall board as a drum because he doesn't retain yet the "quiet rule" that we discuss each time before entering the library; Nikki had her books and was setting off the alarm as she weaved in and out of the alarm posts at the exit. She was headed out to the car not realizing that we're in line for a reason. She was so engrossed in her book that she didn't notice the alarm. It's not too obnoxious of a sound. At least she keeps a vague notice of where I'm standing and stays within the vicinity.
I have to admit that the cell phone changes library etiquette considerably. I had just finished telling my kids as we first walked into the library to "whisper and walk" when my phone rang. It was my friend whom I coordinate soccer rides with. I had to answer it. You can't whisper into a cell phone. Why should the kids believe the "quiet rule"?
No comments:
Post a Comment