I forgot until now that I wanted to remember a conversation that I had with Jay. It was during sacrament meeting last Sunday and Jay was fidgety. (I try to encourage the older kids to read their scriptures if the speakers don't catch their interest, but he needed encouragement doing that too. Sometimes I give them trivia to find in their scriptures.) I asked Jay to find the Book of Moses thinking that would take him a while. He found it right away. Hmmm... Then I decided to show him one of my favorite stories in the scriptures found in Moses. I thought that I'd give him the quick abbreviated version and then let him read it but I actually caught his interest as I was explaining so I continued (and missed a good portion of what the speaker said that day too...oh well...time still well spent.)
Christi explaining to Jay: "It was during the time that Moses went into the mountains to pray after Moses had brought the Israelites out of Egypt...the same mountain where he received the 10 commandments..." (Jay knows that story...building on what he knows.) "The Glory of the Lord was SO powerful that Moses' body had to change. If he had seen the Lord in his earthly body, he would have sizzled like bacon...the Lord showed him magnificent things and called him Son of God. When the Lord was done talking to him and left, Moses was SO exhausted......Then Satan came saying 'Son of Man-worship me!'...to which Moses' replies 'Who are YOU and where is YOUR glory?...essentially saying 'Are you kidding?...I am a SON of God!'' (The story is all told with dramatic voice...Jay giggles.) Then I let him finish reading on his own. Later on I hear him trying to tell the story to Nikki but his voice is not as dramatic and Nikki is busy drawing, but I am pleased to hear that he's so affected by the story that he wants to share it.
1 comment:
Disclaimer: Jay and I were listening to a Christian radio station this morning while eating breakfast, (me)doing dishes, etc. They often ask a biblical question and the first correct answer wins something. I knew the answer the other day to a question they asked but didn't have my cell phone while we were driving in the car.
This morning they asked, how long was Moses on Mt. Sinai. Jay said, "Mom, they're asking another question!" He wanted to call in with the answer but I didn't know it offhand. He said "It's probably in the Book of Moses!" I explained to him that the rest of the Christian world outside of the LDS church doesn't have the Books of Moses and Abraham. They only have the 5 books that Moses wrote in the Old Testament.
During my explanation, it occurred to me that my previous explanation to Jay was probably wrong regarding when Moses was transfigured in the presence of God then tempted afterward by Satan. I think it actually took place shortly after Moses ran away from Egypt the 1st time before he met his future father-in-law Jethro.
I wonder if the "burning bush" was a simplified explanation of the glory of God. I explained my correction to Jay.
Post a Comment