It's raining about an inch/hour in Yuma today. Jonny is being evacuated from work before the washes keep him trapped there overnight. He's abandoning his car and catching a ride home with a coworker who has 4-wheel drive. Most schools are busing kids home early. I was called by the hospital to come in to help with procedures because my coworker's roof caved in overnight. Then they called me back to say never mind because people are cancelling their procedures.
I love the rain. I can say that now that my roof has been fixed. I am hopeful that the farmers can handle the mess...and I'll say a prayer for the school teachers who are either confined to their classrooms without a recess break or have muddy-footed children. But I do love the sound, the smell, the empty roads, the washing of my car that was SO dirty, the cancelling of soccer practice and so on.
I can't think of a good preamble or transition but... Yesterday, my Grandma Johnson (91 years old) had a stroke. She is not able to move one side of her body or speak clearly or breathe easily. Our family was able to spend Monday before Christmas with her for the traditional Johnson Family Doughnuts and Hot Chocolate. We have a wonderful memory of chatting with Grandma and seeing her smile and enjoy her posterity. I am glad that we visited with her recently and can remember her that way. My mom and her brothers and sisters have been with her daily for the last several months taking turns staying at her house and caring for her. She injured her ankle and has not been able to walk. This in addition to the colostomy placed last year (which she has hated) has increased her longing to pass on and be with her loved ones in heaven.
I wish that I could just pick up and go to Mesa/Phoenix to observe and help, but obligations keep me home. I've sent a hug to my mom vicariously through my sister Emily. My instructions to Emily are to hug Mom twice consecutively and tell her one is from me.
For me the rain is wonderful, but for those in Mesa/Phoenix involved with the care and heartache surrounding my Grandma, it must be very dreary. I have great hope that the Savior will allow her to pass on swiftly and with minimal pain. I know from past experience that God is mindful of our distresses. Over time, as a nurse, I have come to think about death and birth as being very similar processes. The labor is sometimes difficult but always has an end and the end result is glorious.
1 comment:
Wow! The rain in Yuma sounded a whole lot scarier then the rain in Queen Creek. When I went to see Grandma in the hospice on Friday all the roads were flooded under lakes of water and it was hard to get out of Queen Creek. The rain did make things a little more dreary with Grandma being in the hospice. The spirit that was in Grandma's room was so amazing. Thanks for your post Christi.
Post a Comment