

Soccer was the theme for the week. Jay and Britton each had 3 soccer practices throughout the week then 1 game each on Saturday. The weather was beautiful and my whole family was participating together. Jay was assigned the lucky #13 jersey. Britton was given his choice of numbers and chose the same number so as to be like Jay. It was fun to observe the difference between Jay and Britton's teams.
Britton's age-group is taught to kick the ball into the net and to never use their hands. They are also told to look for the soccer field boundaries but would probably never notice them if it wasn't for the referee and his whistle, and each coach vigorously chasing and directing the mob of kids. The kids are so focused on the ball and would probably chase the ball for miles if there were no boundaries laid. I compare their game to a dust cloud of kicking legs that follows the ball all over the field for four 10 minute segments. Thank goodness for shin guards. Coaching is strictly voluntary. Therefore anybody willing and able to invest the time teaching 4 year olds how to play soccer is very deserving of praise. Britton's coach has never played soccer in his life. He has a son on the team, was asked to coach, and googled all he knows. His practice techniques are very creative though. All in all, Britton is having fun.
Jay's age group is being taught about fouls and penalties in addition to the soccer basics. I suspect that today's practice after last Saturday's 1st game will focus on the importance of team work. They already have great skills dribbling and stealing the soccer ball but usually don't have anyone to pass it to because they haven't learned to anticipate the movement of the ball. Jay has a wonderful coach who has been coaching for about 5 years and is an avid soccer fan. He named their team the "Chelseas" after a famous soccer league. The coach is hispanic and therefore calls the team "Shell-sees". He is a very patient and positive man which I greatly appreciate since Jay is not yet an athlete. Jay is getting some good exercise and I'm proud of him because he works hard at the practices and you can tell by his pale and blotchy face afterwards that he really has given it his all. He runs in the middle of the pack...not the fastest or the slowest. He's already had a glory moment at practice where he head butted the ball in the right direction than caught up with it, dribbled it, and kicked it into the goal nets. Jay and I were both shocked and pleased. I hope he'll continue to think positive and not give up.
This Saturday, I am looking forward to attending a Family History Seminar. They are even offering a class in Swedish Research here in our small City of Yuma. How convenient. I hope to learn many new things.
No comments:
Post a Comment