"Prepare Every Needful Thing"

For 2013, we chose the scripture in D&C 88:119 as our annual theme: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord..."

What does it take to build such a house?! We're going to work hard to find out this year.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Peace

"Yuma County, Imperial County and northern Mexico were rocked by a 5.8 magnitude earthquake just before noon Wednesday.  An aftershock tremor followed about five minutes later and was a category 4.8 according to the USGS Web site. The USGS service has recorded 50 aftershocks from the quake, as of 8:30 p.m. Wednesday."  (Yuma Sun Newspaper, Yuma, Arizona, December 30, 2009)

It was an impressive earthquake.  I have lived here almost 6 years and hadn't felt anything like it.  I was just dropping my kids off at my Aunt Drucie's house so that I could drive to the hospital for work.  It made me grab a wall then the earth continued shaking for a least a minute.  Because there was no damage nor imminent danger, it can be described as "cool or awesome".

However, January 12th, the island of Haiti experienced a 7.0 magnitude earthquake and at least 150,000 people are dead.  The relief efforts were not well coordinated and the people of Haiti were not prepared.  Their earthquake was terrifying. 

It kind of sets a tone for the year for me.  My sister-in-law Sara chose a word to focus on this year.  Sara's word is "create".  Then Eva (my sister) chose her word - "awake".  My word is going to be "peace".

"There is an hour of peace and rest unmarred by earthly care...'tis when before the Lord I go in sacred secret prayer." Hymn

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be ctroubled, neither let it be afraid." -John 14:27

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -John 16:33


I want my house to be a refuge of peace.  I want to be a peacemaker and a peacekeeper.  I want to study the words and life of the 'Prince of Peace'.  I want to teach the art of peace to my children.  I want to be prepared and self-reliant so that I can turn outward and share my peace.

No comments: